Saturday, May 18, 2013

Not Blogging for Myself but for Jon


Many moons ago, my sister's friend posted on his Facebook wall which she was tagged. This friend asked why was he getting all sorts of adverts in Gmail to visit XXX sites? LOL. My sister told him, again via Facebook and we could all read it, it was because he had been privately entertaining such sites.

Google, Facebook, Yahoo all of them that take adverts to receive revenue are always under pressure from Wall Street. The fat days cannot last forever. It is a matter of time each of them will monetize more and more of your data with them. Keeping a blog private is an illusion of privacy. Yes, may be private now but who knows for how long? The smart ones are guys like Deng and Suharto. What they needed to be completely secret is locked up in their brains and went to the grave with them.

Jon left a very insulting comment in one of my posts and had the naivety to also provide his gmail address - He probably didn't know it came with it! Anyway he said,

"This blogger is a [redacted]. If you blog for yourself please do us a favour make your blog private."

Jon you have very bad manners. I didn't invite you to come and it didn't occur to you that unlike most bloggers I don't care if nobody comes. As if my blog title is not clear enough. I am happy to accept visitors if they find my posts useful but I also sometimes remind them there is no customer service here. I don't even try to write well because I need to write very quickly.

I have also been running a blog experiment for several months now. I keep a private investment blog with content that are not private or personal. I am watching how Google might be using it to feed me advertising. I am sure I am not the only one conducting such trials. Singaporeans don't seem to care much about privacy but my for some of my foreign friends, it is a big issue. Google isn't supposed to use content in that blog to select the adverts for me but see what I just got? I can suspect Google but it is really hard to get evidence that they are using more than my Gmail mailbox for their revenue generating messages to me. See at the top of my Gmail, the message

 "HSBC's Personal Loan...."

Perhaps that is why Google had picked up and directed those messages to me! I can't be sure yet.

So Jon, I could put in more effort and make myself clearer but I am a busy person. A fool by definition does not know he is one but I believe you are smart enough to understand all these. I am not insulting you calling you out as a fool, I am only drawing the conclusion from the evidence you had provided.

Those who behave rudely online, your comeuppance have already been arranged. We just don't know when it will be served.

1 comment:

  1. I like the tough tone you took. Entering my house when i left the door open does not mean you are not an intruder, least of all an invited guest. Perhaps Jon would allow everyone in and provide free meals too?

    ReplyDelete