Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Reckless Cyclist

Unlike the man in black I complained about yesterday as a terrible cyclist, this one is all togged out as serious cyclist except for his recklessness. This idiot lives because I am always alert on our roads. Too many surprises and ambushes.

There are both bad cyclists and motorists but I submit there are far more reckless cyclists than drivers.

Many cyclists like to expend as little muscle effort as possible on our roads. I believe that is what led them to take their chances. I believe as long as Traffic Police do not step up enforcement the situation would not improve.

Here is the clip of the evidence playing back at half speed.



Update: May 10, 11:35am

This is the first time I respond to a comment at length but for my school going kids it is useful for them to learn this or I wouldn't bother. Blogging for myself but I can't stop people from reading and I don't trust Google to keep our stuff private.

Safety 101: Safe cycling is the same as safe motorbike riding or driving a vehicle. You must keep sufficient distance before entering into another's path. I should be able to see both wheels of his bicycle as he came in front of me. Similarly an overtaking driver must see the vehicle in his rear view mirror before he joins the lane.

It is tiring. I make special effort to accommodate cyclists and I and sure many drivers do the same. We don't care who is right on the road, we just want to avoid accidents. That's why so many of us are so upset with cyclists. Whilst bad cyclists aren't the majority, there are just way too many in the minority! It's up to you if you want a short cut to hell and you only live because most of us don't want you to die under our wheels!

And this right leaning government ought to stop copying Alan Greenspan. He thought the banks would in their own long term self interest act prudently but we learned the hard way in 2008 that they do not. Likewise this government assume that vulnerable cyclists for their own good would exercise extreme caution. Well too many don't and their policy of regulating with a light touch and selective enforcement isn't working.



5 comments:

  1. cyclists are getting out of hand and to them the recent accidents were perceived as sympathy. Their recklessness on public roads and even on pedestrian pathways should be taken to task. If they think it is sport, then they should do it in the right places as of other sports. If they think is trendy and want to be on the road, then like the motorist they should take appropriate cycling lessons, pass the requisite test and get the requisite licence. Why should they be a privileged lot as they can be a nuisance and a danger hazard to the other road users?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks normal to me. The speed at that time is low, and the level of alertness is normal. Infact driver should be alert when they drive. If they dont want to be alert, dont drive.

    Anyway, I think the whole sg is melting. It can be seen on how people handle this simple driver and cyclist issue. Like it or not, it will come to your doorstep. I think best to invest in pop corn stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost never respond to comments since I am blogging for myself, but I think some clarification is in order here.

    The video is playing back at half speed but that is not as important as how the cyclist failed to keep a safe distance from in this case my vehicle. He just whisked pass my head lamps, which the camera of course couldn't show. That's too close for his safety. He should go ahead of me and then enter my path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I dont mean to argue with you. This is just a suggestion not directed to Peng You, instead to all Singaporean.

    Yes the cyclist might not be technically correct in executing the move. It's a mistake. But ...

    Lets take a step back, maybe not one, lets make 10 step back. Lets dream, say we're living in gracious society (I know we're not but lets make one) How should people who live in gracious society act for mistake? Well, I think I should go to the guy tell him in the face "Bro, do you know that I almost kill you. Please ride carefully next time bla bla bla..." with a smile. "So where you come from? ..." then some more talk if you're free.

    The issue with sg is with the economic progress comes generation that bitch instead of becoming man.

    Think bout it, and you know that's true.

    PS: I smell this will invite another attack on man in white. Well, the issue is not simple actually. Is it graciousness issue? I can only say it's hard to be gracious when you know that the gov try to profit from you. But I do think it's mindset issue because afterall the gov is Singaporean too.

    I dont mind to be called idiot. Have it all the time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being gracious does not mean being reckless. Pls get the senses
    right.

    ReplyDelete