Friday, May 10, 2013

Malaysian event at Merlion Park


Murder, theft, rape...I don't see for even a few hundred years laws about such matters would change. Now a law against public gatherings deemed necessary in a different age and time, I am not sure if this law is serving us well or hurting us.

It was quite unbelievable LKY could write a whole book of  'Hart Truths'. Sure there are some hard realities about Singapore that would never change but they probably would fill a couple of sheets of A4 size papers and no more. A whole book? It is plainly telling me that we have no wiggle room. That's nonsense.

At this point I don't know what is best for us as I haven't spent time reading and thinking about this protest event held at the Merlion Park. I am not going to be like that silly WSJ journalist James Hookway who writes about Malaysia without doing his due diligence. On the other hand, what I know is that in the age of social media, your brand matters more than ever. If we are perceived to be on BN side regardless of the truth of the matter, we might come to regret this if we punish these nine too harshly. What if Malaysians which are our preferred source of FT turn negative toward us? We would be shooting ourselves in the foot. Stop being stupid about people making rational economic calculations. Hunger is no longer as widespread as when the those laws were first enacted. Humans are only rational in context. Failure to recognize the exceptions is just simply inane. I no longer pass off the possibility that my leaders welded to dogmas are incapable of making the dumbest mistakes any more.

At this point, I am completely unimpressed with how my government is handling this. See "Abang Najib". BN has no future. It's is nearer its end than ever sucking Malaysia dry to feed the rapacious appetites of their ruling elites. Bloomberg was quick off the mark with the latest story: "Goldman said to earn $500M arranging arranging Malaysia Bond" Under BN, Malaysia is on the highway to bankruptcy. It is a matter of time BN fall, I hope peacefully.

Whatever is the rationale, let's make a national security inspired law serves our national interests. At this point I can't see how throwing the book at these peaceful protesters is helpful. We are no longer as fragile as before. If we are, our billions in security investments was foolish money  Haven't we bought enough buffer to allow us to only act against them if they disrupt the social peace? A slap on the wrists I think is as far as we should go. Right or wrong, if a law exists, it must be respected.


No comments:

Post a Comment