Friday, June 7, 2013

The futility of websites blackout

The apple that fell and got Newton's notice is still called an apple today. But what is conservative or liberal; right wing or left wing etc., will change several times in one lifetime.

This government is becoming more and more like any other government. They came up with new measures, got everyone confused or hot under the collar and then provided incredulous explanation how they ought to be understood. I wonder how each of them passed English Comprehension in school. And how could an SMU professor be so intellectually sloppy to say this? I quote Dr Michael Netzley,

He said: "While I also share strong concerns about the excessively broad language of the MDA announcement, I do feel the authorities have made great effort to clarify and we should give them a chance to do what they say they are going to do."

Clarify? What clarification was that from the government? When the dust finally settles and enough time has passed, the meaning of the new rules in plain English is what most people will remember. Sneaky. If it happens that  interested netizens keep the memory of this event alive, the regulators will find some other sneaky ways to regulate. This nonsense isn't going to end until the regulators change their attitude and beliefs. Of course the government often rehash beliefs and prejudice as evidence and logic. In the present time, this cannot stand because they are easily demolished by us.

So MDA must change the language and terms of their latest regulation but I know they will not and that's why I do not agree with blackouts and protesting at Hong Lim Park. Protests work when the majority of the population are with you e.g., the Pop. White Paper; but this issue peers into the future and many people only know how to live in the present. We got to be shrewder with dealing with this government when they fail to put our interest ahead of theirs.

This 24-hour blackout has generated useful publicity especially to inform the rest of the disinterested population. Beyond that I think there is little impact. If the MSM is pro-government they will not cover this isn't it? But they did and it helped the cause of the protesters.

I believe the authorities will do what they said they would in their strenuous clarifications. They just want to have the flexibility to act in case that is called for. We are likely to disagree what those scenarios are. Mostly it would be to protect their power and preserve control. This also shows how unsure they are and  how little they understand this creature of the Internet. They don't even have a clear idea how much trust they had lost. Why should we let clueless regulators have so much power and control. Show us you have earned your spurs first. Otherwise you can only damage the good and bring on the evil in the name of your mistaken good.

Update: 12:40pm

Ravi Philemon's nephew in this YouTube clip is so much better than having a 24-hour website blackout. That one makes you wonder when another blackout might happen whilst this one gets to the point in such simple and light hearted way everyone can understand.




Update: 2:35pm

Where Bears Roam Free: MDA licensing - did Bertha Henson really know her job when she was at SPH? has exactly what I am looking for. Folks like him blog better than me. They cared far more for readers because unlike them, I mostly blog for myself and family.

Barrie gets it. Most of what I have come across is superficial. In talking about politics I want to see the hand of power. Who wields it, what, where, when and how it is exercised. That post from Barrie has  a lot of that.

Only the people is more powerful than the government but they are like cats (actually a little better) and it is really hard to herd them. All that the government need to do is deny you the opportunities to shepherd them. If a government senior official reads my blog he/she would go away thinking I don't get it, but I never say everything that is needed to be said because I am always in a hurry when I blog! I love it whenever I find someone has done the writing for me. Thanks Barrie.

Actually the government as I have suggested in many posts, don't get it. I am not about to explain why because I know them well enough that they must learn that the hard way. Unlike many big name bloggers I belong to the zero-ego lot. I have no interest in persuading any reader who happened to drop by. If you are one such visitor, I encourage you to read Barrie's post, "MDA licensing - did Bertha Henson really know her job when she was at SPH?".

A strategic governing plank of this government from its founding is the targeted use of fear. The latest MDA measures ensure that but I am not willing to write this until I am able to find a post like Barrie's.

This government keep its job not through reasoning with the people but through performance. If it has not already discovered, people are not interested in excuses. The trains don't work, public flats prices are sky high...etc., you will suffer at the polls. The opposition parties just need to organize the people and even give them the reasons for the government failure. Suddenly they turn from impossible cats to people looking for alternative leaders. Such issues are worth going to Hong Lim Park for. They showed up against the Pop White Paper because it means more of what they already hate otherwise as I said earlier people mostly live in the present.

Dealing with this present group of protesters is child's play to the authorities. Many of them are being made used of unaware by those who know how to dabble with power. Don't forget Machiavelli was a cornerstone of the founding PAP leaders' education. That tradition continues.

P.S. How could I have missed this.

To answer Barrie's question, so does Bertha Henson really knows her job? Of course she does. I had time and again in these pages cheekily suggested that she should monetize Breakfast Network asap. She is upset because the new MDA measures inject fear and will stymie her project. It could even stop her from making a success of it. The small guys always try to beat the big fellows taking advantage of the big incumbents weaknesses. MDA had taken away that advantage. Bertha Henson can rue for coming into this business late and the logical next step for her might be to join Yahoo. It's too hard to go indie now.

Because the prize in her view is too huge to give up so easily, that's why she is giving this her all to repeal those new measures. She found herself in Talking Point but that is as far as she can go. She wouldn't succeed but for our sake, I hope I am wrong.





1 comment:

  1. The blackout, the Hong Lim protest, the u tube clip, each serves its purpose, n r not mutually exclusive. Why u need to compare which one is better? Shouldn't it be let thousand flowers of Spring bloom?

    ReplyDelete