Monday, May 12, 2014

Govt lessons from a tissue seller


I just came to my desk and an old friend shared this. Uncharacteristically I decided to click on the link and read the rest of the article. The reasons are obvious.

I hate government wealth redistribution. It is partly their failure when we need to do that to maintain social stability. Redistribution should be kept to a minimum with the objective of eliminating it altogether. At the same time like unemployment, it can never be zero. But if a government must increase wealth redistribution, to me that government is failing. This story explains whey giving money to the needy is a terrible idea. I admire Dr. Tan Lai Yong who understood this well. But to the lazy government (but they look terribly hard working) it is far easier to hand out money than to equip people to earn their own money. This is one of the main reason why the PAP lost my support. I especially hate it when they tout our education system as among the very best in the world when it is just coming in first in a big class of abject failures. What's there to be proud of? What's the use if FTs are regularly chosen over our own locally trained graduates. What is the use if pay is depressed, working hours getting longer, stress levels up.... even if unemployment is low. This is just another version of misery where pay is high but unemployment is also high.


1 comment:

  1. It is very disgusting to continue see our own citizens, especially having to give up a high price to serve national service, are bypassed and jobs are awarded to FTs. I heard enough of how the FTs would take in their own kind and edge out our own nationals. Is the ministry of manpower blind to this - I will leave it to their real eyes to see.

    ReplyDelete