Thursday, August 9, 2012

National Mentos (Making Babies)

Fancy the WSJ picked this up. I thought I saw the ST had something on it yesterday but it didn't interest me.  Just as well Colin Goh posted the posted it on facebook which permit me to easily navigate to the YouTube clip.

I agree with Colin Goh, "I'm speechless. Who on earth thinks this will turn people on?"

However a thought stays with me: if you want Singaporeans to have more babies, you have to get them thinking positively about it as often as possible. Don't tell them why we need more births, we have heard that ad nauseum. Start by discovering what do young couples think about all the time and how some of those thoughts can make way for thoughts of having children. They might discover that what callers often suggest on radio: National Campaigns. Of course we cannot do it the old way, but my gut feel tells me that Singaporeans in a peculiar way miss those campaigns, they were socially defining. It might not be that difficult to tilt the love/hate balance toward love :-)

As a business Mentos has received in this ad campaign way more than they could expect. On this they can pat themselves for an outstanding effort of self promotion. Good or bad, publicity in business is still publicity.

Now "why so many posts on National Day hah?"

No comments:

Post a Comment