Monday, May 26, 2014

Graduate Retrenchment


This is not the first article we have come across about graduates losing their jobs but this is the one that had the power to take me back to the day I had my convocation. I didn't want to go but my parents especially my mom forced me to. I reluctantly went but I had no convocation photos except a blurry and badly taken one my mom framed and put on her desk. The photo has since been lost.

That was the late eighties and already I felt in my lifetime the degree would one day not be a big deal. Why make a big fuss of it. On the other hand, I was also consistently inconsistent. I regularly congratulate others especially those who tried exceptionally hard to become a graduate. I did it for their sake, I am happy for their achievement and admire the effort they put in. but privately I knew it was a matter of time the value of a degree is inflated away. That moment has arrived.

Update: May 27 4:05pm

No surprise. Many of us know of someone or even himself or herself in this situation. The government but only now in private would like to tell you nobody owes you a living, which would be political suicide if articulated in public. They helped to make this happen anyway. Sure we can't immunize ourselves from competition but it is still better to lose the job to someone far away than at home. Whilst they are here, they up the cost of living and make this place so crowded. The father told him having so many people here was a bad idea but the naive son wouldn't listen. Took liberties with the wide powers we gave him. Now we will give him more opposition MPs to check him. And so many MPs, they only managed to have one Inderjit Singh.



No comments:

Post a Comment