Thursday, August 9, 2012

More flags, an improving mood

Immediately after reading Ravi's blog post, "National Day and the dilution of our collective story" I looked out of my window to check how many flags are on display. I don't ever remember there were so many in quite a long time.

I agree with Ravi eloquent post but I also think the mood is changing for the better.

People should start to scold the government less. Listening to the PM's National Day Message, I feel that he has grasped what need to be done much better now. It was right that he chose not to use Gardens by the Bay to make his speech. The kinks in our meritocracy will be ironed out. Pre-school education will be reshaped such that all kids will level up at the starting line in P1.

Singaporeans should be grateful for this government. The government should be appreciative that it have us as voters. They wouldn't be so lucky elsewhere. We keep giving them chances and all these years they have failed to give us credit for our patience.

Don't make us threaten you with our votes again. That was really stupid.

3 comments:

  1. From my view here,I can only say that view from your window on how many flags are on display is the exception rather than the norm,of course I might be wrong from my very limited view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To track some personally noteworthy events, observations and thoughts, letting them age and savor/regret them again a long time later."

    I'm a fellow Singaporean and enjoy reading your blog. As you said, "savor/regret them again a long time later". Lets see which way it will turn out to be, with your observation that PM had really "got it". From my point of view, I think he sincerely believes that the Govt is, in essence, still right but that they merely have a communication problem. So he's carved out another little "Hong Lim Park" that Singaporeans can play with, another little spot for selective messiness. But the people behind the levers of govt and core decision making remains unbowed, unchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well articuled message by nick called AtticusFinch:

    "How long more before such suspicious and oppressive instincts of PAP can be replaced by intelligent engagement? The promise of a consultative and inclusive leadership is empty, as long as vertiges of inordinate distrust and fears (fear of the people's voice, fear of an erosion in absolute power, fear of the truth) remain.
    Such behaviour is both deplorable and pitiable at the same time...smh"

    ReplyDelete