Thursday, May 5, 2011

I hope for the last time: Vivian Balakrishnan

I hope for the last time I am blogging about him. I have to be interested about him as he is the minister in my GRC. This is his mea culpa. His boss had started the ball rolling for all of them. Sure the PM didn't apologize for the YOG. With the info. we have, he didn't need to. However what I have heard from people in the press following the YOG disturbed me. Talk about the regular commercial sponsors of Olympics events not supporting the YOG....as you know more than a few countries didn't send their best athletes to compete. Sure there was international media coverage but nothing near the Summer or Winter games. There were lots of sceptical people. We didn't know how to excite the world about this inaugural games. Even locals were sceptical until midway wasn't it? This was the risk we took for being at the vanguard. We had done the right thing to go ahead but I have wished they were more transparent. Behind the scenes there were stupid mistakes, but eminently forgivable ones. We all have to grow up to understand each context and accept mistakes. The PAP fetish of always wanting to appear on top of it when they are not, I find that hard to swallow. That is the road to hypocrisy and eventually decline.

Vivian Balakrishnan is smooth and savvy. It is easy for him to gain the favor of others. He reminded me of Robert Oppenheimer. Such types find success more easily as luck also seem to find them (See Malcolm Gladwell's, "Outliers).

What I have learned about him earlier, this speech he had made last night have not changed my mind about this man. He can be trusted to deliver because he is smart but you cannot allow him to work in secret. I say this not only for him but several other ministers too. They cannot just be made accountable for results but the process too.

Two days to polling day, I am not convinced that this bunch led by him gets my vote. Had the choice been between his team and th WP 'A' team, my choice would clearly be WP. The SDP are a bunch of idealists. In a way I admire them for that, but the world does not run on ideals. Ideals can only serve as our compass direction. I see them in a hurry trying to achieve a form utopia without being completely conscious of it. It will end in tears for all of us if they have the chance to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment