Sunday, May 15, 2011

Book: Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith










I got this book from our public library. What a gem it is. In so many ways, I feel that I was reading myself even when I have only gone one fifth way of this book. It is good to have company when on your own, over the years you felt that you have been led down paths different from the familiar preaching of the pulpits I have become familiar. One of the effects is shown in my angry posting about Vivian Balakrishnan. Yet another one would be my entry under "faith in tolerance" in early April.

The early pages of the books already resonates with me the stuff I often explain to the kids on most weekends.

 I don't think it is easy to buy this book but many copies are available as follows:


Where to find it

BranchLocationDateCall NumberStatus
Ang Mo Kio Public Library____29-05-09English 261 BELNot on Loan
Bedok Public Library____14-10-09English 261 BELNot on Loan
Choa Chu Kang Public Library____21-02-10English 261 BELNot on Loan
Jurong Regional Library____27-07-10English 261 BELNot on Loan
Queenstown Public Library____29-05-11English 261 BELOn Loan
Sembawang Public Library____08-02-11English 261 BELNot on Loan
Toa Payoh Public Library____14-02-11English 261 BELNot on Loan
Woodlands Regional Library____05-05-11English 261 BELOn Loan
Yishun Public Library____29-05-11English 261 BELOn Loan





Update: May 20th 6am

Finished the book last night before bedtime. Sadhu Sundar Singh was right that you do not need to master Greek and Hebrew. They are very helpful if you do. In so many ways this book was familiar and also unfamiliar. The writer has a good grasp of Hebrew and Jewish practices in Jesus time. He used it to explain his case very well. That is what I missed. However the conclusions are the same! God is a living God,

Update: June 5

All the copies are available. Would be better if they were checked out. Had recommended it to some people but they are probably not persuaded. I am not surprised at all. This is just so us.

No comments:

Post a Comment