Saturday, May 7, 2011

Elections: There will be no happy outcomes

Writing to my sis, I have found the words for how I feel about this election. I have noticed that whatever the outcome tonight, it would not be a happy one. Aljunied GRC would be the proxy and microcosm for how the rest of the nation feels. Why?

We are no longer one people because of the previous govt policies. Whatever the outcome suspicion will give way to this fact early next morning. We can no longer pretend. That is why PAP can no longer attract enough of the best to join them. Instead so many appeared on the other side. How to be one people again? NDP etc., are just shows. Even about to be divorced couples try to look good in public!

For the gains we had, we had paid out much more for them. The government of the last five years, probably the most intelligent in the world also happen to be among the most foolish. They completely forgot Einstein's advice who was both intelligent and wise, "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" Pity Ng Eng Heng quoted them recently but didn't get it.

We will have to tolerate the PAP government for the next five years because we have no alternatives. It is impossible for a leopard to change its spots. Over the next five years, regardless of how the Opposition performs in this elections, their numbers and quality will improve and the PAP politicians will frequently be treated with disdain and even shouted at. Well they can raid the reserves to forestall this to fund a populist program making them the hypocrite of what they had always preached. Given their limited courage, they are in danger of caving in to temptation.

If I were the PAP, I will try to attract CSM, NS etc., to my party. I will ask them to "name their price" and then I will double it regardless if they finally join me. Only then can I be sure I have transformed myself into the new version of the founding fathers. If they fail to do so, they should have a plan B outside government. That is what you need to do if you plan to win confidently. The Opposition have ears, heart and intellect which the PAP had lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment