Sunday, October 20, 2013

SG: We increasingly need Plan B

It used to be you do not need Plan B here for things like these. Not any more, we are becoming more and more like any other city. We are becoming less exceptional but slowly and like a frog in slowly warming water we run the risk of getting killed unaware.

I am somewhat paranoid about this ONT box failing. From experience I know these devices usually fail from prolonged exposure to heat. I had run through a few ADSL modems and wireless routers over the years. I could not rely on Singtel, which made me wait for days for replacement and even had the cheek once to tell me they have no stock and persuaded me to accept obsolete reconditioned equipment. I ended up buying my own equipment and if they fail I just go out and buy a new one. Problem solved within a couple of hours but you can't buy off the shelf a usable ONT and we would be at the mercy of the performance of the telco. Best to sit the ONT on a fan.

The schools have Plan B for the O and A levels exams in case the MRT fails. I make notes of all the flood prone areas. The banks ATMs cannot be assumed to always work; the telcos  probably now have to budget for hefty fines given each their dismal track record....meanwhile many cities (I read in ST today in Taipei) have rental bicycles but we are still shouting at each other how vehicular traffic, bicycles and pedestrians could share the roads. We make it a point to invest ahead of demand expanding Changi Airport but not in many things else. Perhaps the government think we are spoilt and want to teach us a lesson. If so they are absolutely stupid and completely missed the lesson which side of the bread is buttered on.

Update: 10:10pm




No comments:

Post a Comment