Saturday, October 5, 2013

Bridging the education gap


The education system had many outstanding issues and attracted much unhappiness even before my kids were born. Very likely they are not going to be solved until my children have passed through the system. In fact I am very tempted to say never but it is never wise to say never.

Children in the system do not know what the real world is like or like their parents they would also be focused in doing well in their exams. So the officials blame the parents. The blame game has gone on for so long and will not take us to any good place. My practical response is to solve my own problems especially when one is a special needs case. Like many world aware parents I have to do a lot for them because the schools aren't.

This Saturday Insight article paints a beautiful picture of what the schools are doing and where they are heading. It is not wrong and many will benefit. But systems being impersonal and process driven a huge number of pupils will also fall through the gaps. The large holes are never in their stories. What do the country care? To policy makers it is a number game but to parents our children have names. Therefore Education policies and systems under this paradigm is never done and the minister in charge has the most difficult job in Cabinet. I had blogged about this before.

On a more optimistic note, we now have a guy in charge of Education that is probably one of the best we have ever gotten. I think he wants to keep but change exams completely along the way. How he is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat I cannot imagine. I am however hopeful and prepared to support him..



No comments:

Post a Comment