Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Reading Lamp (mis)adventure

The reading light I ordered via eBay a couple of days ago arrived via SingPost today. This is my $6.90 experiment. The the photos report the results in visually: Failed.


So far so good out of its box. It runs on 3 AAA batteries and purportedly good for 50 hours using alkaline cells. 


And kicking the tires time! You can see the panel is easily scratched. I wonder if it is made of soft eraser plastic :-( It had deteriorated so quickly as I tried to fix the end guard (see the piece of the right) to the device. It was ill fitting and so not easy to get it on. Only simple man handling and this is the result. 

The light shoots across the panel and indirectly lights up the paper or Kindle surface. The result is unsatisfactory. Produced a useless and unhelpful glare with little light illuminating what I am interested in: the page I want to read. 

$6.90 is cheap but when it fails, it feels expensive. Better to solve this problem the old fashion way.

No comments:

Post a Comment