Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Saving Tony Tan

Perhaps he doesn't need to worry too much if my conversation with the company secretary earlier this morning is representative of most voters. When the news broke, like him I too was nonchalant about it. He didn't break any laws, so what's the problem? But as humans, we are not if occasionally unaware of our inconsistencies. That is a cute feature about us that has provided us many interesting Vulcan-Human interactions. As I had been rooting for a President that is above and beyond politics as enshrined in the Constitution, I was inconsistent to ignore the seeming special treatment his son Patrick Tan had gotten. Therefore I feel that he ought to quit the race.

About the other two Tans, especially the doctor is a good man. However I feel both do not make the grade and it is like settling for what is available since qualified people in our community had chosen not to offer themselves.

Every coin has two sides. If I flip from idealism to cynicism, then there is one tactic Tony Tan could use but would cut no ice with me - Apologize. I very much doubt he would especially if the sentiment of many is that of my company secretary. There is a risk that this company secretary would change his mind as he ponders this further, which I had persuaded him to do. Out there others are probably being cajoled to to the same right?

Tony Tan, take a page from Lee Hsien Loong's play book and apologize if you want to be sure of getting to the Istana.

1 comment:

  1. How can a man who stood up against LHL during the "slapping Incident" of Dhanabalan by resigning immediately, not be able to stand up against a slur on his own integrity.

    The previous incident was within closed doors but the present one is in the public.

    TNT can explode easily if fused and ignited. Therefore, advisable to quickly put on safety measures to ensure safety first.

    But people who indulge in high office towers for too long might not be able to know what safety is all about. It has been too coosy and too comfortable up in the ivory towers, with silver and golden spoons as starters.

    God Save The Queen/King/Emperor.

    ReplyDelete