Thursday, August 25, 2011

SBF says Presidential polls could affect jobs

The ST today provides more detail than the brief from ChannelsNewAsia yesterday.

This morning the WSJ also wrote a story on PE. It didn't suggest that investors would be alarmed.

The SBF is just a paper tiger. I wonder how much this chap spoke for his members. May be only those who badly need foreign workers?

And here is what the SICC said before the journalist ends the article. I quote:


Asked his views of the SBF statement, Singapore International Chamber of Commerce (SICC) chief executive Philip Overmyer said its members felt it would not be appropriate to comment on the election.
SICC represents more than 500 foreign companies here.
But Mr Overmyer said: 'Companies don't like confusion and don't like changes that might impact their success and operations. To the extent that the general overall policies of the Government continue, I think the large MNCs will continue to be content and happy to be here.'


I think it is mostly the cosseted and spoilt local firms, the ones Ho Kwon Ping pointed out as addicted to cheap labor who are now selfishly protecting their narrow interest but were clever enough to con a less able government to listen to them! A government that has lost much common sense.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooo! I'm so scared.

    I'll not have a job as a road sweeper to look forward to when I turn 75 years old.

    Scary. I want my road sweeper job.

    Please save me uncle Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be voting Tan Cheng Bock instead of Tony Tan. Tan Cheng Bock spoke up in 1987 in support of the arrest of the Marxist conspirators. This is a man who understands putting the nation above the individual. He is a safe pair of hands who will not rock the boat and threaten the stability of Singapore. This is why he was the first non cabinet minister elected into the PAP Central Executive Committee. He has already said that he will work within the boundaries of the constituion. The role of the President is custodial and it is more important to have someone likeable like Tan Cheng Bock. Therefore I will be very comfortable with Tan Cheng Bock as President.

    ReplyDelete