Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Keeping this for ten years


We do know each other. We are connected from you to us via the Internet and media reports. I am keeping this for you. The grief I choose to remember than to record here. I am fairly confident that this blog would be around in the next 10 years. I never forget that COBOL program running on the mainframe. It's function could easily be served by a simple spreadsheet model by the time I joined the company, but my seniors told me it just wouldn't die.

We just retired our Windows XP machine about a month ago. We would have kept using it for as long as it last if Microsoft didn't decide to stop support for the OS next year.

That COBOL software was indispensable. People have formed habits around them and would not accept change. My take is that it is the same with Google Blogger too.


No comments:

Post a Comment