Sunday, April 26, 2020

A daughter's Book: Rename the Stars

'Rename the Stars' was made available on April 16, a day after the tenth anniversary of the author's grand father passing away. I know him well. He was my father. 

She dedicated this book to him. I supposed based on the tales I told her about his life, and the most important decision he made: To be Singaporean

But this book is about the future. It is also relevant to the past because the drama of humanity is a timeless rhyme.

If you like imaginations from Harry Potter and Star Wars, I think you will enjoy this book. Its innovation is to pit magic against technology in a contest of identity and the shape of a civilization's future. I thought it could form a story line for a Star Trek movie as well. Not the simplistic ideas from Star Wars of good versus evil. The narrative conceals bigger ideas of identity and destiny. I asked her isn't it a little like Europeans leaving for the New World. Then in 1776 they decided to make a break with the past and forge a new society? Except that the American colonies and the British fought with the same muskets, her story is more intriguing when magic and technology confront each other.

The story line also reminds me of Singapore too. The Chinese immigrants here had to decide if they would be defined by race or remake themselves as multi-racial Singaporeans. That is why I think the author dedicated this novel to her grandfather. He made the choice to be staunchly Singaporean.

Today my Singaporean uncles often send me Whatsapp messages and video clips admiring and taking pride in the growing greatness of a rising China. I asked myself what's the matter with them? But they were former Malaysian Chinese from my mother's side. They imagined China only. My father knew China well. He lost his father to the communists persecution. He had seen both sides of the Chinese coin. He knew Chinese history well. My uncles who do not, are more easily sold.

'Rename the Stars' is made very affordable at Amazon's Kindle store. I am confident many will find it an enjoyable drama of magic and science fiction, with serious ideas on offer for the thoughtful as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment