Friday, December 11, 2015

Bye Bye Funan Centre

My daughter told me last night that they are going to close the mall third quarter next year for three years. When it open again it will no longer be an IT mall.

We used to visit Funan Centre quite regularly but have stopped doing so for sometime already. I believe we aren't alone although I can't understand why it was predictably hard to find parking at the mall.

We used to buy our stuff at South Asia until we signed up as members of Challenger. Again we aren't alone as eventually South Asia quit the business.

I am sure we can get better deals at Sim Lim Square but I for a while now I do not have the time to keep up with the latest and greatest value like I used to in the past. Most important I think a growing number of buyers are switching to buying online. Indeed over the last couple of years we had increased our purchases through that channel.

Funan DigitaLife Mall? We have always called it Funan Centre because the old place is truly what we missed and not its present incarnation. I had spent countless hours browsing its shops in the 80s. Even my wife's wedding gown was from a ground floor shop in that mall.

I don't think I would miss Funan DigitaLife. In fact the owners and managers of the place are doing the right thing being forward looking to revamp and re-conceptualize the mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment