Friday, August 9, 2013

WP's National Day Video

In this video by the WP for this National Day I see lots of people that are not like my family but we live together cheek by jowl here. I also noticed the party bigwigs were absent and  best of all it tells me at the end of the video who we are preserving and growing this place for.



If you do not want to have kids, are you prepared to help keep this place going for other people's kids? We are not there yet but soon. Out of practical necessity friends will become kin taking care of those of us who are childless and without family when we are old. By then what's family would have to be redefined. This is not new. My adult father in law had an adopted mother when they came in a boat from China. As a result my wife had a loving and caring granny. So in another guise it can happen again.

What we are is far more precious than a Patek Philippe. I rejected the PP my dad gave me for something better.



"You never actually owned a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation."

I have no patience for the selfish old. And if we have to change the laws to protect the next generation, I would support that.

1 comment:

  1. I love the "no patience for selfish old". I had a colleague whom I was discussing the Presidential Elections, and one of the candidates proposal (not sure TKL or TJS), who wanted to increase the NS pay for future NSFs. The attitude of this colleague was "but I'm already ROD, I won't benefit for that, don't feel like supporting this guy."

    My opinion of someone never went down more quickly over such a short span of time that after that brief conversation.

    ReplyDelete