Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Sim to Jobs:....bringing a bit of us to the whole world"

When I wrote about this yesterday, I didn't think people would be interested. I blogged only for my family and myself. Instead more than a few came and one even left a comment what did it mean for Sim to have remarked, "Thank you for bringing a bit of us to the whole world".

I thought it was obvious. Apparently it wasn't. Of course to be completely sure, you have to ask Sim himself. I am not surprised he had no comment. I feel it is impossible to respond with a sound bite. A longer explanation would be confusing.

What is the bit of us that has been brought to the whole world as a result of Apple products especially the non desktops and notebooks gadgets?

Apple products are the intersection of culture and technology. In this sense, the musician Sim also shared a similar background with Steve Jobs. But Sim leans far more towards engineering. As for Steve Jobs, he is more a user than an engineer. Jobs also had the advantage of growing up and selling to a market he is far more familiar with. That market, the USA is also the preeminent culture exporter, i.e., sell in the USA, sell to the world as well.

My point? Sim probably knows better than most how Steve thought. But an Asian bamboo for all its strength and beauty could not transform into an Apple tree.

Steve Jobs products were anticipatory. Like Akio Morita Walkmen, we did not know we want and need it until he showed them to us. Apple products are extensions of ourselves. Like you have grown an additional limb, an eye, another ear. You become attached to them to the point that they are part of you. You use it to connect with others better, quality and quantity wise. That's why for some Apple has become religion.

For Sim, Steve Jobs was his nemesis. I bet he spent nights awake trying to figure Apple out. He needed to learn the lessons having been soundly trounced by Apple at the MP3 war. He concluded he cannot be Apple.

I wonder what the three lines would write like if they were rendered in Chinese characters. It should be clearer.






No comments:

Post a Comment