Monday, July 2, 2012

"Where got Age Appropriate Faith?"

We discussed "Age Appropriate Faith" at home last night. What I didn't anticipate was the passage we would be reading from Hebrews would be most suitable. I have long left behind my days of memory verses and bible knowledge. Everything is becoming increasingly assimilated over the years and I often need to use memory triggers and the Bible Gateway site to retrieve the scriptural source for my thoughts. I remember the substance, roughly where I first learned it but identifying the chapter and verses often proved difficult.

I used to share these verses from Isaiah very often with a very special friend when I was a teenager. When we reconnected more than twenty years later, she remembered the chapter and verse from Isaiah but I was completely nonplussed even if  in this instance I had remembered the words by heart.


Isaiah 55:8-9

New International Version (NIV)
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,” 
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth, 
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.


One day she told me about SA Tan when I was on the phone with her. I asked, "Who's that?" Actually she meant Satan. By then I was so far removed from Church vocabulary. I didn't know that I might not find Christ if I had remained with them. I was taken away so that I might receive grace. I don't encourage this. I didn't plan to be where I am.

If you think you can just go to Bible school, learn the original language, history and culture; master the principles of hermeneutics and you know how to read and use the Bible pad down, you are wrong. Even the Devil has done and exceeded that.

All scripture is connected pointing back to Christ and the Spirit reveals their connections through life, way beyond your pastors and theologians. Often the Spirit's teachings are the same as your pastors but delightfully simpler and more practical. The Spirit doesn't need the chapters and verses for reference and so don't be surprised you can't remember them either.

Sadhu Sundar Singh was right. It is good but you don't need to study the original language the scriptures were written in either.

This is sort of the stuff I wanted my kids to have from last night discussion. I know they cannot remember; they aren't ready and so it is recorded here for their benefit.





No comments:

Post a Comment