Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Non-Speaker: Telling our own stories without confessing them

First I got this from BookBub which I had no time to look at until this morning.


Then searching on the author I found these a our eLibrary.


and "Chinese Cinderella" which I quickly reviewed the first chapter brought back memories of my mother's childhood. Just like Adeline, her mother also passed away and she had to live unloved with a step mother. She eventually "escape" to live with her late mom's sister. She must have felt unwanted. But it did not stop there and instead brought me back to primary school when during one music lesson the teacher taught us this song which shocked and left an indelible mark on me.


"Nobody's Child" effortlessly reconnected me to an unusual manuscript I read days ago. I think the book is going to be very well received if the writer can market it successfully - you know the trial of a new author. Now as I see how the book had stayed with me in my subconscious instead of fading away, it might even be a best seller if it has the same effect on other readers as well.

Nobody's child was born blind and rejected but a non-speaker would be born deaf mute right? This is a handicap but not as grave as born blind. I think that is how my subconscious must be connecting them except that Non-Speaker is not about that at all. In fact it is worse than nobody's child. It is being nothing.

May K the author told me she has made Chapter 1 available online and a very limited way I am trying to help since this is Blogging for Myself.

Chapter One reads like the equivalent of Adeline Yen's "Chinese Cinderella"

Chapter one reveals May K's unexpectedly imaginative device she used to tell this story by inventing a new relationship between humans and birds. The plot then unfolds in surprising ways.... but in a note to myself earlier, I summarized it as:

In Falconia, your social class is assigned by the birds you can speak to. The lowest of the lowly speak to the humble sparrows, nobles talk to the various birds of prey, the rest of humanity in between. If you can't speak to any bird, you are a non-speaker, a nobody worse than India's Dalits. This is the story of struggle against class, for resilience, courage, friendship and finally between war and peace. It is a story about honour and sacrifice.

That was the macro angle. At the personal level, "Non-Speaker" is about telling the story of how we sometimes feel about ourselves and our hopes without admitting them to others. It can be a metaphorical story for your aspirations and also keeping them private as well. Everyone should find and own their fairy tale and approximate it for reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment