Sunday, August 9, 2015

50 years ago an unlikely nation and people



I have been wondering what I would leave on this blog to remember this day long after it is past. I found it on June 20 this year when a friend and my sis shared this article by Cindy Tong on their Facebook pages. I responded as follows:

Singapore is small enough to be family. We saw that when we were mourning for TKPS during the tragic earthquake. We are also large enough to confidently bestride the world, who has the chutzpah to go to Washington to tell American lawmakers to grow up. We adapt all the time, so we do not have a fixed identity. It is the continuing journey taken together which will constantly define us. The writer Cindy Tong will find her identity as a journey and not a destination. Then she will begin to be aware how unique we are.

Today we celebrate our Golden Jubilee. So Majulah Singapura, Onward Singapore, To Boldy Go once more. I think at our cores we are perhaps Trekkers. Singapore is also an Enterprise. We never planned this but my children grew up watching Star Trek TNG over and over again.



Update: 6:35 am

Two of our doctors went out of their way to bring Megan home. And the reason? "She is one of our own" replied Dr. Chew. (ST July 2)

This is Home Truly.


No comments:

Post a Comment