Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Blogging For Myself: Thomas Friedman perspective

Just read Thomas Friedman latest op-ed at the NYT: Four Words Going Bye-Bye.

With his usual eloquence and persuasiveness Frideman has also explained why I had not made this blog private. It is impossible to keep it under lock and key. Everyone who has been caught wrong footed over privacy started with believing it was private only to be badly mistaken.

I see others made their blogs private and I believe they must feel pretty secure. Just because you can't figure out how privacy would be compromised doesn't mean that it wouldn't.

Even Internet banking isn't private or secure. So how do I secure myself? It's simple. I make sure the thieves steal from others before he comes to me, and the alarm bells would have warned me before they arrive at my account.

Privacy and security in cyberspace is a race without a finishing line, and I don't need to run that fast either; only faster than enough slow ones. It is a perverse and unfair world that lots of people don't even know their position in the race.


1 comment:

  1. Privacy is a well abused word. Legal people will sell it as an individual's own right but in reality, it is just another commodity being bought and sold.

    ReplyDelete