Thursday, November 28, 2013

Realistic about Leaders


Text of article at CNet.

It is the same everywhere: from the leaders of gangsters to the most respected religions. You never find enough good guys to fill your positions of leadership. Often I read the idealistic posts including some of mine what leaders ought to be. They are so perfect it is not going to happen. Often I don't care to be misunderstood. Accurate writing takes a great deal of effort and however I try, I am not gifted enough to make it easy to understand for my children. So I simplify and in conversations with the to and fro going on I explain myself to them.

When Shanmugan took over as Law Minister he wondered why Land comes under his ministry instead of MND. Eddie Barker had set it up that way. At the end of the day, it is safer and wiser that we shouldn't trust ourselves too much. We should invite others to watch over us to keep us honest.

Real life is leaders will fail us more often than not. We have had a most unusual and remarkable run. We should not expect this to last and we must be resilient when leaders fail us. The scandals we have had in the last couple of years is what is normal and also suggesting that we have become complacent. We have been lucky over many things but this matter has nothing to do with luck and everything to do vigilance and diligence capped with courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment