Friday, June 28, 2013

Impractical: Learning through Play

All the time I was having this thought in my mind and was very pleased that the writer rounded off the article with the words of this student.

Victoria Junior College student Cheryl Koo, 18, said: "It sounds effective but as students we need efficiency and this sounds quite time-consuming."

NIE researcher Prof Manu Kapur missed this vital point. His methods are far too slow for our syllabus needs. What an ivory tower effort, but I think his results could be useful if we are willing to modify our context. I know that isn't coming. Come on, from the time my kids entered primary school and I am sure soon when heavy school bags are a non-issue for them, many kids would still be hurting themselves lugging timber to school. Why can't they just use a Tablet? If MOE cannot get something far simpler done, I have little confidence they can make good use of the A/Prof findings. He is better off selling it overseas.


No comments:

Post a Comment