Friday, May 3, 2013

I had to write about Singapore Airlines

From the ST yesterday. I hesitated to blog about it earlier but since I kept revisiting it in my mind, might as well create some space for it here.

I am worried about the future of SQ. Competitors are getting better at imitating them and many have advantages over SQ. Makes me wonder if it is only a matter of time it gets squeezed out.

I also note that Pillay was very kind with his comments - too kind, but that is the man, always nice and humble.

A full page on SQ and so hard to get current management involved. Sad isn't it? Suggest a management that is lacking confidence, harassed and God forbid, lost.

Virgin and NZ deals were 'right moves at the time'. What garbage is this? We always know if a decision is right from the results. If it turned out badly, the cause could be bad judgement, poor execution or just bad luck. SQ overpaid for them because it saw value and was naively wishful what it could do with them. SQ thought too highly of its capabilities. Hubris was quietly creeping into the company. They better be honest with such matters or they are sure to repeat their mistakes.

Think Different, that's what SQ doesn't know how. Incrementalism is their way including SQ girls eye shadows beyond cutting costs in places where customer do not notice. I am afraid many, including me do notice but often do not mention.

I had to write about SQ because where she flies or fail to, so do Singapore.

1 comment:

  1. I have just flown from New Zealand to Europe with SQ and back, 4 flights in total, a trip I do every year. SQ seems to train cabin staff to avoid engaging with passengers...they choose to ignore parts of a request they did not want to hear and to avoid eye contact with someone who may have a request. The service between Singapore and Christchurch, (where there is little competition) is particularly slack. Cabin staff are all smiles as you come on board and as you are leaving but in between they do not want to know you.

    ReplyDelete