Friday, May 10, 2013

Ah Pek Cyclist rides safe

This clip shows my experience with an Ah Pek riding a motorised bicycle late afternoon today. I think his bicycle could go faster but his reflexes probably isn't what it used to be. Given his age, I applaud him for navigating his way quite well and he was a safe rider (see how he entered my lane) unlike that reckless one from last night along Orchard Boulevard.

A few such cyclists aren't a problem but I worry that their population might explode - they will hold up traffic. Folks like this old man wouldn't be riding a bicycle if they could afford better. I have seen their kind ferry their grand kids to and from school. I suppose they will do this regularly as long as we do not have inclement weather. Here you see the concept of widening income game playing out as real life.

Why do I bother with putting up this story? I worry that government regulation against cyclists will eventually come about as evidence against reckless cycling mount and drivers get more vociferous. Ah Pek cyclists use their bicycles as a necessity could easily be caught on the wrong side of regulation. At the moment the TP have looked the other way because such electric bikes aren't permitted on our roads. They are the silent sufferers. We must lend them our voice if they can't find their own.

Would be best if more cyclists were more responsible and we can continue to go with light touch regulation but I think given their gross sense of entitlement and immaturity this just too pie in the sky.


1 comment:

  1. I agree. There is a definite distinct difference between those who cycle because of need and because they could not afford better and those who dress up to cycle on any road and any time they choose, in the name of exercise, regardless of the inconvenience it may cause to others and the danger they may pose to themselves and others.

    ReplyDelete