Sunday, May 19, 2013

After reading Rachel Chang's piece on TCs

Link to article at Singapolitics

A very clear and well written piece by Rachel Chang which I hope my kids would read. Doesn't hurt that I also agree with her almost completely. I suspect the majority of Singaporeans are with her on this one.

The ST is becoming less and less of a PAP broadsheet. On paper it never was but it practice we all know better. It will take time to convince the majority that it is transforming. Question is what would it eventually evolve into? I think as long as it is not owned by the likes of Murdoch (I don't like him and gave up my WSJ subscription because he inserted himself too much into it) it must be owned by its readers. Such ownership is tenuous at best and easily stolen. It is not even committed to a binding contract. So easy to get it right but as transient as the beautiful scenery of a train journey to somewhere else. Very hard if not impossible to stop the train at this sweet spot especially when rightly or wrongly people think more beautiful sights lie ahead. I want the train to push ahead too.

Things were so much simpler and clearer when the PAP not so much control but dominated it, but we must leave those days behind.  Does the ST know where it is going? Alas, I think the ST must always be a work in progress. Unlike other papers, perhaps they mustn't have a destination but always travel with the people who are always learning to adapt to our external environment. Come to think of it, the people can have a direction but never a destination because to arrive is to die. We must keep moving. It is only a question of how fast.

Meanwhile I hope the paper have more writers like Rachel Chang. Some are still so pro-PAP. Try to be pro-readers, then I might buy back the SPH shares I had sold.

1 comment:

  1. "A very clear and well written piece by Rachel Chang which I hope my kids would read. Doesn't hurt that I also agree with her almost completely. I suspect the majority of Singaporeans are with her on this one.
    The ST is becoming less and less of a PAP broadsheet."


    Seems that Rachel Chang's piece is just a preamble to Han Fook Kwang's and Warren Fernandez's main course and that part about PAP bragsheet seems a little premture.

    ReplyDelete