Friday, August 3, 2012

Self Defeating Chinese Ways 1

Came across this story first in AsiaOne yesterday but was too busy to write about it. Thank God for this opportunity as this is very important for my kids.

My late father would have totally approved that the wife be saved before the mum. Very un-Chinese. Always in a world of limited time and resources, if I have to choose between him and my kids he would preemptively arrange for me to put the kids first. He is now gone and the kids were too young to understand.

Before the kids came, he made it easier for me to choose my wife over him and my mom.

He was well versed in Chinese Learning (you have to read this in Chinese!), had thought about it long and hard over many years and finally concluded that much of Chinese culture and history were self defeating.

He came to the same conclusion as Peter Drucker about the old. It is tyranny and for China it has held the civilization back. The chains are in the mind and the culture. I am not confident they can be broken. China can rise but it cannot last. So convenient that the opportunity to reinforce this is on the same page in ST today. Coming in Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment