Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Gift of Dyslexia



These boys father Mr. Chua has brought so much joy to the homes of so many families here :-)

Pearly sent me my first video of this pair yesterday and guess what? I am reading about them in AsiaOne today.  My daughter is also dyslexic and quite a few of the characteristics mentioned here she also shared especially problems with spelling and thinking in images. Like young Dr. Jia Jia here, she is also quite articulate and even achieved a distinction for CL Orals despite being poor in the subject. Yesterday the school notify us that her application for exemption from CL was successful. She continues to make steady progress and will no longer ask for extra time for exams.

Not all dyslexics presents with high intelligence. I suspect many are innately very intelligent but never had the nurturing to unleash it. My daughter's cognitive profile was all over the place. When I first saw it, it reads, "critical bottlenecks" which I have to study and help her overcome to unlock the extremely high abilities elsewhere. When I saw "Jia Jia" father gave him plasticine to form letters, I bet he must have read Ronald Davis, "The Gift of Dyslexia" Lucky child to have such a father.

Teachers please "pang chance" and help to keep them motivated.

3 comments:

  1. $588? May as well be $8888.
    I have a dyslexic kid and I cannot afford the help from DAS, not when their test for dyslexia is already a wealth generator for them.

    Saycheese

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete