Saturday, April 7, 2012

Asperger's Syndrome: Pretending to be Normal

I am quite familiar with this subject. Some have even suggested I write about it. I am not friendly to the idea but I might change my mind since I am beginning to notice some large gaps that aren't filled. There is glaring void for a faith based response.

Too many kids on the ASD respond to intervention too slowly such that by the time that arrive at the age of maturity they are not yet able to function as a normal adult. A caring society has no choice but to create occupational opportunities for them.

I wonder which path is easier to make progress on; the causes of ASD or its cure. Presently you can't pop pills for ASD but you can train the child behaviorally, which I believe leads to new neural bypass around the deformed areas. It is wonderful that our brains are so plastic, and more people need to learn this fact. The machine model of our brain which had imprisoned us for the last couple of hundred years had absolutely done us no favors helping to rehabilitate stroke sufferers, addiction conditions and now ASD.

1 comment:

  1. people with asperger's syndrome can be percieved as very normal through their writing. but this is because writing doesn't rely on the areas of weakness typical of the condition. indeed, i'd say it's one area that people with asperger's syndrome may actually be slightly better at sometimes. so, i'm not surprised that some may be rather 'fooled' by this.
    _______________
    Aspergers
     

    ReplyDelete