Thursday, August 18, 2011

My daughter's poem: Maturity or Skill?

Her writing is improving all the time and is starting to write better than me. I like the bit, "let your years be your wings..."

She copes with stress better than most her age. Often her classmates would seek her advice. She had to mature faster because of dyslexia and other neurological disabilities. As these are not visible like in losing a limb, she had sometime suffered unnecessarily at the hands impatient and elitist teachers.

A poem she wrote a couple of days ago for her friend's birthday; a poem Anabel said was "chim".


After waiting half a year
At last the time now comes near
Sixteen, sixteen, sixteen at last!
Don’t the years pass so fast?

You were born with the summer bloom
Where there was no time for quiet gloom
Little wonder what you are
That smiling person even at a far!

I wish you many hopes my friend
And that life will lend you a hand
Now that childhood has started to fade
Your friends shall always be there to aid

Stand fast in weal and woe
For those will come that is true
But weather it well I am sure you would
And still smiling like only you could

Let your years be your wings
And after your dreams let them sing
Hold on to what is true
And achieve them I am sure you would

What is left for me to say?
So many things I have wished your way
Friends, hopes, wishes and dreams
What else is there for you to win?

But there is one last wish
The most important of all
And with all my heart I wish you

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANABEL!

But I wonder if she was not just using the young Mozart technique to write this poem. More mature than most her peers yes, but not to this level yet. I am thinking since she had it all wrapped up in well under an hour. I told her last night that it is good to be working on her "10,000 hours" towards achieving mastery.

I am just biased. I love the poetry of Grace E. Easley and had turned several into Flash Movies. They are a similar timbre, but Ms Easley is the master, whilst my girl is still a junior apprentice. As for me, I am happy to just be among the admiring audience. Writing was never my forte.



What Am I Thankful For? 

What am I thankful for this year?
What blessings come to mind?
My dear friends and relations,
So loving and so kind.

Each time I see the sunrise,
And the beauties of the day,
The unexpected little joys, 
 I find along the way. 

What am I thankful for this year?
The small and furry things,
The hope that keeps me going,
The peace believing brings.

I have so much to thank God for,
I don't know where to start,
I only know He walks with me,
And lives within my heart! 

~ Grace E. Easley ~

No comments:

Post a Comment